Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Mt. Saint Helens - Nailed It!

We started the strenuous climb at 7:00 am on Monday, August 25, and luckily all twelve of us made it out alive. I'm not gonna lie...this was the toughest hike I have ever done in my life and my body is feeling it. I guess the fact really didn't sink in that I was climbing an actual mountain. Whoah baby!

It took us 4 hours to reach the top and my overall hike time was 7 hours 30 minutes. The view at top was fabulous. We were above the clouds and were able to see the snowy peaks of Mt. Rainer, Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood. The first couple of miles were nice strolling through the trees and then we encountered volcanic rocky terrain. Finally, the last mile was like walking up a sandy beach (2 steps forward, 1 step back).

Some other highlights:
1. Jill peed her pants laughing so hard when Randy accidentally lost his footing coming down the mountain and started to slide on his belly.
2. Karen falling down on her butt three times in a row within a period of two minutes. Jill finally told her to take a break because she was super frustrated.
3. Sliding down the snow on black garbage bags or just our good o'le trusty butts.
4. Jill opening the door on a lady going pee that was bearing it all in her glory.
5. Wilbur at least making it half way. Way to go Dad!
6. Nick feeding a chipmunk so many nuts that his cheeks got super full.
7. Laughing at the last person on the trail who had to smell all the gas from the rest of us.

Here are some pictures I took at the top. I'll post some videos next time.

Everyone busting out their food at the top of the mountain.
This is the view looking inside Mt. Saint Helens. The lava dome is growing and lots of steam was coming out of the holes.

Randy and Aaron taking it easy at the top.

A view of the edge of the crater. As you can see we are above the clouds. You will notice Mt. Adams in the background.

This picture for some reason reminds me of the Goonies movie at the end when they are all sitting on the beach. Did I mention how cold it was at the top. We were absolutely freezing!
Pictured (back row): Ben, Aaron, Randy, Sarah
Pictured (front row): Kerri, Steven, Nick, Jill, Tina, Angie, Karen

Another view on the top of the mountain.

Making a love train with my sisters.

4 comments:

Kimm said...

Congrats on making it to the top...I am stinkin proud of you. Maybe I will do it someday...someday!!

Brandon and Amber said...

Way to go Fullers! That's so fun that you all made the trip together!

Now what are you going to blog about??? I can't wait to see!

Jana said...

Congradulations Tina. Did you lets start itching?

Randy and Tasha said...

4 days after and I'm still feelin it.I know everyone else is too though;(don't lie people)even Steve couldn't walk when he showed up at our house Friday.Way to finish strong without too much collapsing.